When expecting for a newcomer in the family, most parents choose everything with extreme care. Having a baby is not just adding someone to the family but a whole life to take care of. Parents strive to find out the best clothes, toys and recommendations. In that quest, they often ignore one thing, the environment itself. In fact, they often forget a good air humidifier for babies.
1. What is an Air Humidifier Air Purifier?
A humidifier is simply a device that increases the level of humidity also known as moisture in a room or an entire building.
In fact, when the humidity in a room become too low (10 – 20%), we may assist to a variety of problems. Many adverse health effects can arise due to the drying out of mucous membranes in the nose and throat. This can cause respiratory distress
On the other hand, if this humidity is too high by overusing humidifier, this can also promote the growth of dust mites and mold, and can cause hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Therefor a relative humidity level of 30– 50% (1) is acceptable in a room. This is where an air humidifier purifier plays a role. They basically help to control the humidity levels in a room and in confined space such as in cars.
2. What are the benefits of Humidifiers?
– Combat Dryness and its consequences
One common problem with cold and dry seasons is dry air. During winter and summer seasons we tend to develop some sicknesses. This mostly due to the level of humidity. Winter have more dryness and summer may present with too much humidity.
Humidifiers are helpful and help to combat winter symptoms such as runny nose and coughs. Whereas during summer,this helps combat some allergies due to that time.
Dry air can affect you, irritate your skin and lead to a variety of infections in the long run. Humidifiers help moisturize your skin, giving you a better look. This brings more self-confidence.
Also, nasal congestion and sore throat may be some of the issue you might encounter during those periods. There also, we need the help of a humidifier to avoid some problems such as stuffy nose, bleeding nose, itchy throat.
– Can be used in Aromatherapy
Some air humidifiers work as aroma diffusers as well. They use essential oils to diffuse nice perfume in your room or car.
Essential oils used in aromatherapy are good and may help to calm your nerves. When you use a humidifier aroma diffuser in your room you will have the benefit provided by essential oils.
You can use it in your bedroom to have a good sleep after a long day of work or even more. It helps you keep your body and mind in a good form. People practicing Yoga find humidifiers aroma diffusers very helpful.
– Can be a perfect Decoration
There are humidifiers that have a nice shape and you can use them as vases for decoration. In that case it is advisable not to plug them in.
3. Why should you have an air humidifier for babies?
One of the benefits of a humidifier in your baby’s room is the protection it offers against dry air. This particularly during the winter months when the air indoors tends to be drier from your heating system which takes away the natural moisture in it.
As said earlier, harsh air has many consequences such as stuffy noses, sore throats and dry sinuses.
Babies are much more vulnerable to congestion. They can easily get infections and sicknesses that are common during the cold months. Fortunately, that is where a humidifier comes to the rescue.
As said earlier, an air humidifier air purifier adds moisture to the air and creates ideal breathing environment. This allows the mucus to loosen up and helps the baby to sleep comfortably.
The moisture from the humidifier also helps with skin conditions. In fact, baby skin is sensitive to dryness which can be present during summer or winter. Dryness may also aggravate some common skin conditions such as eczema.
A humidifier will add moisture to the air and helps combat skin irritation. This will help you keep the baby’s skin soft and clear.
Besides keeping your baby away from infections and skin irritation, there is more to say about humidifiers.
According to some, the noise a humidifier makes may be similar to the sound in the womb. This could help your baby sleep peacefully and not pay attention to the household noises.
4. How to choose the best air humidifier for babies?
Every parent expecting wish to get the best for their newborn baby. We tend to choose everything with care and love.When it comes to the choice of an air humidifier for babies, there are many opinions and considerations. These lines will look into different type and options you have. We will give you details about each type and from there the choice will be yours.
What are the different type of humidifiers
We basically have two main types of air humidifiers based on how they work: Warm Mist and Cool Mist Humidifiers. While both are designed to work as air purifiers and increase humidity levels in the room, they function very differently.
Let’s have a close look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of warm mist and cool mist humidifiers.
– Warm Mist humidifiers
Warm Mist Humidifiers use heated water to create warm moisture. As the humidifier uses warm water, this can help fight any bacteria growing inside any part of the humidifier. Because of that particularity, some pediatricians recommend this type to ensure that babies are away from bacteria.
Pros of Warm Mist Humidifiers
- Warm Mist humidifiers are in general quieter in comparison to cool mist humidifiers because it doesn’t come built with a fan.
- As the humidifier uses heated water, this can help to warm up a room during cold moments.
- The humidifier comes also in portable sizes
Cons of Warm Mist Humidifiers
- Because this type of humidifier need power to produce heat, it also uses more electricity. This may add to the cost of living
- The water in the humidifier reaches hot temperatures. This could be a hazard for children.
- They also come in portable sizes
– Cool Mist Humidifiers
Cool mist humidifiers disperse a cool spray (mist) into the air, usually at room temperature. This will then increase the humidity level in your baby’s room. They are a good choice if you want to humidify a large area in your home.
There are 2 types of cool mist humidifiers: Evaporative and Ultrasonic Humidifiers.
Evaporative humidifier uses a fan and a filter. The water in the reservoir (or Tank) flows to the filter and is blown by the fan. This phenomenon transforms the water into a cool mist.
Ultrasonic humidifiers on the other hand use high frequency sound vibrations to add moisture into the air. These vibrations are silent to human ear (ultrasonic), but the ultrasonic sounds can remove dirt from surfaces. Also, this type of humidifier can also breakdown water particles from the humidifier’s built-in tank apart into a cool air.
Pros related to Cool Mist humidifiers
- They do not require as much electricity as warm mist humidifiers since they use vibrations
- They do not use heat, therefor safe to use in children’s room.
- Most of the time less expensive than warm mist humidifiers because they do not need any heating elements.
Cons related to Cool Mist Humidifiers
- Cool Mist humidifiers are not using heated water. This may help microorganisms to be released into the air. Reason why it must be cleaned often.
- In case you are using the evaporative humidifiers, you must replace its filter frequently.
- Both types of humidifiers require regular cleaning and maintenance.
- Some humidifiers work as Aroma Diffusers to add a bit of scent besides moisture.
- The Essential oils used in aroma diffusers can work as medication in some cases
WHAT WE SAY: Because of safety concerns and options available, Cool Mist Humidifiers are more popular than Warm Mist humidifiers. They can be an option to consider for your Baby.
5. Which options you have for your home?
Tabletop humidifiers are usually small and deliver moisture in a small environment. This could be a good choice for your baby’s room since it’s compact and easy to move. Most parents tend to choose this kind.
Console Humidifiers are much larger than the tabletop and can hold large amount of water at once. This depends on the model.This option is good when you want the moisture for the entire house.
As the name says, these humidifiers are installed into your home’s air ducts. This option is also good if you want to moisture the entire house. This way, everyone can enjoy the moist.
The in-duct humidifier is efficient and doesn’t need a lot of maintenance. Although, it requires professional to install it and might be the most expensive option.
WHAT TO SAY: Since you have more than one item to buy for the little one, a Tabletop humidifier may be a great option to consider in case you budget is limited.
6. Safety Precautions
Humidifiers are great appliances to use in your baby’s room since they help prevent various conditions. It also helps with peaceful sleep.
If used properly there is no consequences. If not used properly consequences may range from illnesses, allergies to bodily harms such as burns.
- To prevent your baby from any allergy or illnesses due to the accumulation of microorganisms, cleaning in very crucial. Especially for Cool Mist Humidifiers. You might consider a mild detergent to disinfect. Make sure it completely dry before you use it next time.
Note: Follow instructions from manufacturer on how to clean.
- Depending on your location, you may have some impurities in your tap water. These impurities or fragments may go into the air and cause irritation. Products used to clean public water such as chlorine may also induce irritation. It is advisable therefore to use distilled or bottled water. You can also have a water purifier in your house to help you clean all your water. It is very important to use clean and distilled water, especially if your option is a cool mist humidifier.
- If you consider the use of a warm mist humidifier, make sure it is out of reach of little ones. This because they may see it as a toy and since it produces heat, it might cause burns. This can bring more stress and make you spend more for medical treatment.
Babies are fragile, and they need special care and attention. Cold season and dry season have one common problem that is Dry air. This comes with many issues and may affect you baby’s health.
To protect your little precious one and keep yourself from frustration, it is good to consider having an air humidifier for babies. This will help you in your efforts to stay healthy and have a clean room.
Using an air humidifier for babies purifier will not only help you and your baby stay healthy but will also help you keep the room clean and purified. Staying healthy means less visits to the doctor therefore, less medical expenses and more to save for the future.
The use of humidifier in a room is not limited to the baby but is also a great idea for the whole family to enjoy.